Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Ruth and Naomi

Ruth 1:16-17; NKJV
 

Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God. 

Where you die, I will die,
And there will I be buried.
The LORD do so to me, and more also,
If anything but death parts you and me.


Many wedding ceremonies have included these words of Ruth to highlight the commitment involved when a man and a woman become one flesh.  Yet these words were spoken from a daughter-in-law to her mother-in-law.  These words were spoken from a Moabite to an Israelite.

In the days of the judges a faithful Israelite woman taught her Moabite daughter-in-law Jehovah and the things of Jehovah.  Through Naomi's teaching and example, Ruth was converted.  What happened then can happen today.